What is Teaching Kids Programming and TKPJava?
- TKP is volunteer programmers and teachers who write TKPJava courseware
- TKPJava is/has…
- a Java-based modernization of Logo — influences list
- designed for school teachers to use to teach kids ages 10-17 core computational thinking
- over 80 lessons, arranged into topic areas (by course)
- lessons which take from 30-60 minutes depending on the number and skill level of your students
- is designed to be teacher-led, in classrooms with kids coding in pairs
- materials which are FREE
How does a teacher get trained on TKP Courseware?
- We provide preparation materials for teachers online for max scale
- These materials include the following:
- TKP Java lesson answers (code) for teachers — hosted on Github
- TKP Java lessons (code) for students – hosted on GitHub
- Written lesson plans — hosted on Penflip
- Code training videos (screencasts) — hosted on YouTube
- materials are linked on this website, starting on the Courseware page
Do you run events or classes?
- We do not have the resources to run our own events
- Many organizations, such as the US Boys and Girls Clubs, IGNITE Seattle, Microsoft DigiGirlz, JavaOne4Kids, OSCON Kids Day (and more) have chosen our courseware to be part of their events.
- We partner with TKPLabs (based in San Diego, CA)
- That team hosts classes and events, such as the one shown below – Raspberry Pi Day of the Century
Do you have TKP-style courses for other coding languages?
- We are experimenting with several other programming languages (Python, R and more).
- You are welcome to follow our main repository on GitHub.
Are TKPJava materials available in Spanish, etc…?
- Our materials are in US English. However, we welcome localization efforts from volunteers.
- All code lessons are open source and hosted on GitHub or Penflip and can be forked for localization with attribution per our license.
How can I contribute to TKP?
- We are a project of the US non-profit (501c3) MONA Foundation
- You can contribute to our project by making a donation there