TKP Tips: Teaching the SmallBasic PENTAGON CRAZY recipe
The parts of the PENTAGON CRAZY recipe are as follows:
1) Recipe – guided line-by-line translation, to teach core concepts. For PENTAGON CRAZY, you are building on what the kids learned in all of the previous drawing recipes (core IDE and language concepts such as objects, methods, etc…) and For loops. In this recipe we work on mastering the idea of variable creation and assignment and also that of subroutines. Also we include IfThenElse. The cheat sheet for the core recipe is RZJ196. Below is the teacher video for the core recipe.
2) Variation – instructor – led verbal refactoring and modifications to add concepts to the solution. In this variation we introduce the Flickr API (so the variation requires internet connectivity). We alter the shape, colors and pick up colors from the Flickr image that is retrieved. The recipe is found at WATERMARK, the cheat sheet is at WPB966
3) Recap – presented by the instructors, re-do the recipe to reinforce core concepts. You’ll want to particularly emphasize common mistakes with the If-Then-Else syntax.
4) Quiz – facilitated–pairs reach 100% mastery by working together. Remember to do a recap, instructors repeating the recipe BEFORE you get the kids started with the quiz. The quiz will be found at LJB034. If some of the pairs finish early, let the pairs who are done work on making the variation more creative by changing the shape, colors, Flickr API inputs, etc…
5) Homework – There is no homework for this recipe at this time.
6) Xtras – There are no Xtras at this time
We are really excited about the growth of TKP. We welcome feedback on the how we can make these videos better for you as TKP teachers.